Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Latest Tatting Project

Well, I called this blog Needle Crafting Corner, so I suppose I should share some needlecrafts.

I haven't tatted much in the last couple years. Not sure what got me down, but I have been trying to get back on the horse and get to it. I would like to have a new piece to enter into The Thread Corner Tatting Show 'n Tell Contest. I entered a couple years ago, but it is a popularity contest and I didn't get enough votes. The same person won across multiple categories :( I will concede defeat to a better project, but not to popularity. But, I digress.

My latest project was suggested by my friend Sarah who wanted a needle tatted lanyard. I checked on Etsy to get an idea of what has been done and was kind of bored with the designs. I have been experimenting but I am worried about durability. It has to be strong and be able to handle wear and tear of being swung around, put in and taken out of pockets and it needs to be strong enough to actually hold the keys. I'm still working on the durability part, but I'm concentrating on design right now. I think if I add layers I can fix the durability part, so I'm trying to come up with some design. Right now I am experimenting with split rings and am planning to go back and add in chains to create layered flowers.

I just use random colors when I experiment. Usually whatever I see I have most of at the time, so however it ends up I was thinking of doing the base green and then the layers of the "flower petals" two different similar colors, like red and pink or blue and purple. Whatever, it is to be decided when something is actually done with the design.

Hopefully I'll have something more to show with this project next week :)

Tata!

No comments:

Post a Comment